Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Try Something New

I'm a pretty routine person.

I don't like change. I pretty much like to know what to expect and don't like it when life or circumstances alter my chosen plan.

But sometimes, change is good and sometimes it leads me to find new things I love.

My first alteration to my routine came on Tuesday morning. I went to my 6am HEAT Beach Body class thinking I knew exactly what we were going to do that day - 3 minute sprints then 3 minute weights...repeat. I love it. It's intense and it goes by quickly.

Instead, the class instructor replaced weights with TRX suspension training. This involves moving your body through various range of motions and challenges you with your own body weight. It was pretty intense and I'm addicted now. I've been way to scared to try it because I thought I wouldn't be able to walk the next day, which I was really, really sore, but it was the kind of soreness that makes you crave more. The next day when I got out of bed, I felt like my abs were going to rip out of my body. I guess that's a good sign ;)

Check out this awesome video that shows what the class is like:

TRX - Tread & Shred from David Hambridge on Vimeo.


My second "new thing" to my routine involved finding a new running trail. I like having my routine route because I know where the hills are going to be and pretty much know what to expect out of my run. I love this.

However, the other day when I was running my normal route, I noticed a paved path off to the side called Reedy Creek Trail with a poster of a route. Hmmm.....why did I not know about this?

So when I got back from my run, I Googled "Reedy Creek Trail Raleigh, NC" and found that if I took a left instead of a right on my normal route, there's miles of paved trails for bikers and runners.

I was pretty excited this morning to explore part of these trails during my long run, and it made the 6.5 miles pretty entertaining! The first phase of the trail began with the NC Museum of Art. There were several interesting sculptures along the way...


Source

There were quite a few more interesting sculptures. I'll have to bring my camera next time :) The trails were pretty hilly, which was a little bit more of a challenge than I'm used to with my normal route, and in the end I'm very happy with it!

My final "new thing" for the week was cooking with egg whites! I've heard so many great nutritional facts about eggs whites and was excited to make some yummy omelets this week.


They made a delicious dinner during the week and great post-run fuel today :)

What do you think about egg whites? Have you tried anything new this week that you're going to add to your routine??


Happy Fourth of July weekend!!! Can't wait to be poolside!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you did TRX! I did my first class Thursday morning and I'm hooked. My gym doesn't incorporate treadmills :( but that's what I get for paying $30/month ha. Still a phenomenal workout tho. I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of don't like change either - but totally agree that when I do stuff outside of my comfort zone i never regret it! I like egg whites, but all of the great nutrients that eggs have are in the yolks, so I usually eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey my friend david did that video (and several others for HEAT)! i've known him since the crib ages, he's like my brother! haha.

    and i've always wanted to run on the trail that goes through the museum of art... call me next time you do that trail!

    ReplyDelete