Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Yelp! & Dining In

This last part of the week has pretty much been consumed by food, food, and more foooood!!

The girls and I got together Thursday night and we made Pico de Gallo Shrimp Salad. It required no cooking, which is always a winner, was delicious, and affordable since three of us were splitting the ingredients!

We started with some caprese...


Please notice the fresh basil from my plant ;)

We then sipped on "fine" wine, chatted, and devoured our jumbo salads.


Click here for the recipe from Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat. It's such a great recipe because all you need to do is thaw frozen shrimp, let them marinate, and then chop up the pico de gallo. Ta da!

Friday night involved a little cooking for the sweetie. We were supposed to cook this together, but it ended up being a one-woman job and the sweetz did not debate while he sat on the couch drinking his beer.

The main entree for the evening was Tuna Steaks Glazed with Balsamic Vinegar and Basil Oil...


The flavor of the balsamic vinegar complemented the basil perfectly. We loved this! I was so excited to finally make a recipe from my Viva Italia! cookbook. It's probably the first cookbook I've ever read front to back, and I want to make every thing in it!

Last, but not least, we finally completed our first dining experience based off a yelp review, and it was a success!!

Justin found this little gem of a restaurant last week on yelp and has been determined to go. The place - Chubby Tacos. I admit I was a little skeptical. 1 - Mexican is always good. 2 - Chubby Tacos isn't really music to my ears when I'm striving to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my meals. But when I saw that Chubby Tacos had a deal on GroupOn Friday morning, I figured it was time to face the music and go.

It really is just like what everyone said on yelp. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place with delicious, cheap food. Bonus - it wasn't even greasy!! All of the ingredients seemed relatively fresh. There was a great selection of vegetarian tacos, which made me excited even though I'm not one.

Also, the special for today was fried ice cream for $2! I don't think I've ever heard of this until earlier today when I was reading The Hungry Runner Girl and she posted a recipe for it! Fate.


Justin didn't sound as excited about the fried ice cream as I was, so I thought I was going to have at least three-fourths of it to myself...grrrr....once he got a bite...it was a race to the end.

We left very happy campers!! I was walking on air as we walked to our car. Can't wait to try more restaurants through yelp and I'll definitely be back to Chubbys.

Have you tried restaurants based on reviews from yelp?? Do you ever write your own reviews?!

1 comment:

  1. I've never posted a review online but I've filled out an anonymous "dining experience" survey at a Panera Bread once. It was a bad one! The girl taking my order was hands down the rudest, most unprofessional person I have EVER dealt with in the service industy. I made sure I got her name off her badge and called her out in my survey. I LOVE Panera so I still go but there are just some people that should not be the face of your company. Put that cranky girl in the back making bread or something.

    PS. Next time you go to Panera get the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich (no feta)!!!!! I never order anything else!

    ReplyDelete