Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Nutrition Ed. 101

Ever since I started taking running "seriously," I've become more aware of my overall health and fitness, and thus I've begun to take strength training and nutrition a little more seriously.

I have found that the last two items have been the secret ingredient to overall health and fitness in addition to my running.

I love running, but it doesn't tone everything and leaves me super hungry. This is where strength training and nutrition have come in handy. After reading all of y'alls awesome blogs with great recipes, and nutritional information, I've taken an interest in learning more about the best ways to fill up my body with the good stuff so that I'm not hungry even after eating.

I've even adapted some of your meals into my daily rotation...

Exhibit A from Meals for Miles:


Strawberries, blue berries, black berries, walnuts, and Greek yogurt. Yum! I look forward to this lunch every...single....day.

Or Exhibit B...I can't wait to try some of these recipes:
The Detox Salad from Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat
Basketball sized salad from The Hungry Runner Girl
Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins from MegaNerd Runs
Grilled Tuna over Arugula with Lemon Vinaigrette from Gina's Skinny Recipes
Pico de Gallo Shrimp Salad from Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat
(Plus soooo many more!)

I was flipping through my most recent Runner's World magazine and it had a list titled "Key ingredients to keep handy for no-cook meals". A brief summary of the list included:

Carbs
Whole-grain pitas and wraps
Canned lentils
Hummus
Fresh fruit (check)

Protein
Canned salmon, sardines, crab
Cooked rotisserie chicken
Deli hard-boiled eggs
Tofu
Greek yogurt (check)

Healthy Fat
Nuts (check)
Seeds
Avocado
Extra-virgin olive oil

All of this means that my above lunch definitely checks off on all three! Good thing I love allll of the above ingredients. Looks like I'm on the right path!

I recently bought my first nutrition book this weekend. Can't wait to learn so much more! I'll give more details once I crack it open.

Are there any books that have changed/inspired you to eat differently? How so? What's your go-to lunch??

5 comments:

  1. Best lunch ever! That is definitely my go-to as well :) I read Marion Nestle's "What to Eat" a while back and it was really interesting. It didn't really change the way I eat, but definitely made me think about it more. Same with Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food." Check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome...those sound great! Can't wait to give them a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the book that inspired me to eat differently is the same one Meals for Miles mentioned above - In Defense of Food. There are parts that get a little long/heavy with the science, but overall it's really interesting, and I love his perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Callie! I hope you enjoy those recipes! There are 2 books that have changed the way I think about food. The first is the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno - SUCH a good one for building a strong base knowledge of clean nutrition. The other is Whole Foods to Thrive by Brendan Brazier, which I'm currently reading. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but it has definitely made me think about the impact that the 'traditional American diet' has on the environment and on our bodies. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Meals for Miles and Lauren about Michael Pollan's books. I've read "In Defense of Food," "Omnivore's Dilemma" and "Food Rules." While they may not be traditional nutrition books, they really opened my eyes to what I was actually eating and I've never thought of food in the same way since. Pretty scary, but inspiring as well./

    ReplyDelete