Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

How Not to Train for a Half Marathon

When training for my first half-marathon this past April, I ran the exact amount of miles on the day my plan recommended, and put emphasis on doing my runs no matter what. Granted, I did substitute a couple cross training days for runs when I felt my legs needed a rest or were getting shin splints.


However, my current training for my second half-marathon has left me feeling a little apprehensive. Last time, I felt confident and ready. This time, I feel underprepared and less excited because of it.

This is probably because...

1) Instead of running my long runs on Sundays, I've pushed a couple to Tuesdays due to late nights on the weekends. Whoops :/

2) It's super hot outside, and at first I woke up at 5am to run, but now I've become lazy and sweat it out in the 90 degree heat after work. YIKES.

3) Sweating like a pig makes my runs more miserable than fun, and thus makes me less excited about running in general.

4) When you're training for a half-marathon in Sept. you have to start training in July. This means waking up early on the weekends to get in your long runs before the heat. I started out good, but it's so much nicer to sleep in!

5) Exhibit A & B of this weekend. Didn't run 3 miles on Saturday or 9 miles on Sunday. Now I have to run 9 miles today (Monday). This is not ideal when you're running 13.1 miles in six days.

Despite all of this, I really am still super excited about running the Virginia Beach Rock 'n' Roll half marathon this coming weekend.


Especially because I'm expecting a supporting crowd of spectators, a FLAT course, listening to bands every mile along the way, plus a post-race concert on the beach with Brett Michaels! Oh yeah - and spending another vacay weekend with Justin!

I really wanted to run this upcoming half-marathon in less than 2 hours (previous time 2:04), and I hope I still can since it's flat. I remember thinking during the last half-marathon about how the next one would be that much better because I'd be that much stronger of a runner, but now I feel less prepared than I did before...darn.

Oh well, I'm now focusing on the positives after that little rant! It's going to be an awesome weekend!!! Carolina football starts this weekend (can't wait to tailgate next weekend!), I get to explore Virginia Beach, push my running limits, and do it all with my best friend :)

sMile of the Day

"Love yourself, for who and what you are; protect your dream and develop your talent to the fullest extent."
- Joan Benoit Samuelson

"We all know that if you run, you are pretty much choosing a life of success because of it."
- Deena Kastor

"I love when an hour or two into the run something opens up and I feel divine energy flowing into me. I try to send the energy all over my body. I love the feeling of it - I'd love to be running right now. "
- Flea (aka Michael Balzary), bassist in The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Question

How is your training going? How do you deal with feeling under prepared? Do you feel like this heat is helping or hurting your training?

I think I'm going to focus on just having fun so I don't beat myself up over my original goal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment