Remember how I said breakfast was my favorite meal?
Well yesterday was another glorious morning because I ate cookies for breakfast :)
I guess this runs in the family because growing up my 80-year-old grandpa would eat cookies for breakfast every day.
Well I guess I didn't technically eat cookies, it was more like one big cookie!
The Fitnessista shares my same love for sweet breakfast meals, and when I saw her breakfast cookie recipe, I knew I had to make it.
Breakfast Cookie Recipe
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 tbs nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- 1/2 scoop protein powder
- 1/8 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- your choice of mix-ins (ex. banana, chocolate chips, raisins, anything!)
- In a small bowl, mix the oats, nut butter, and protein powder into a crumbly mixture.
- Add milk.
- Add the mix-ins! I added half of a smashed banana and topped it with Greek yogurt and strawberries. Next time I'm definitely adding chocolate chips ;) The Fitnessista recommends adding some Stevia (sugar) and cinnamon as well.
- Place the mixture onto a small plate, shape it into a circle, and flatten it to distribute the thickness evenly.
- Put the cookie in the fridge overnight. This is essential for the cookie to solidify, but it's still nice and chewy in the morning :)
- Wake up and pull your beautiful, delicious cookie out and enjoy!
This was so delicious! The Greek yogurt and strawberries on top really hit the spot.
I think this recipe is perfect for those who don't have a lot of time to make breakfast in the morning. You don't have to do a thing but pull it out of the fridge! I think this would be great for the mornings when I go for runs and don't have much time to piddle around before work.
Before yesterday, it had been 4 days since my last run because I never did my 3 miles on Saturday or 9 miles on Sunday. Yikes!
Once I fall out of my routine, it's so much harder for me to get back in it. Thank goodness for Justin last night. He finally pulled through as a motivator for the first time during this 8 week training period. Usually I'm the one who has to push him to run at least once a week with me, but this time, he pulled me away from my BBQ bag of chips, and we hit the pavement!
My body felt funny at first. I couldn't tell if it was because I just ate half of the chips or if it was because my body forgot what it was like to run. Either way, the first mile was uneasy, but the following two felt great! It was nice and cool out, which made the run even better. It was one of those runs where you feel like you could run forever.
After that great run, I feel like I'm back to my routine and looking forward to spin tonight! Only 4 days until the half-marathon...Yay!
How do you get yourself out of a workout funk? Anybody else doing a race over Labor Day?
I try to used the age old "you never regret a workout" mantra, which usually always gets my routine back up and running!