Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Food makes me happy :)

After being super lazy yesterday (smoothie for breakfast and dinner), today I got back into my normal cooking routine!

Breakfast


About almost two months ago, I learned the importance of incorporating protein into every meal in order to stay fuller longer. Also, your body burns more calories when it's processing protein compared to other nutrients. Since then my normal breakfast consists of the wonderful amazingness below:


Two eggs. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and fresh peaches. Yum!

I eat this every. single. morning. And I look forward to it every day. This morning, Justin even commented on how often I eat it. He said, "I wonder how my calories are in your meal?" He sounded like he was skeptical that it was a lot, so of course I looked it up out of curiosity, and well it is more than I expected. It's about 463 calories. Whoops. No wonder I like it so much. Also, it really does keep me full until lunch time, so I doubt this meal will be going anywhere, anytime soon :)

Plus, it has about 30 grams of carbs and 25 grams of protein. This is a win in my book. Lots of protein and just the right amount of carbs to keep me fueled during the day and into my workouts. I prefer to eat more carbs in the morning and then eat leaner at night anyways :)

However, I do have a different yummmy breakfast recipe in mind for later this week...and it involves cookies (but healthier)!

Dinner

I found a recipe for chicken pesto earlier this week on Food to Run For and have been dying to make it. Tonight was the night, and it was so delicious.

All you do is spray a glass baking pan with non-stick spray and then spread some pesto on the pan, place the chicken on top, add more pesto on top of the chicken, a slice of tomato and more parmesan cheese.


Bake it in the oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Top it with a fresh basil leaf and dig in!


This is definitely a new go-to week night meal.

Workout

Today's run was 6 miles with 4 at a tempo pace. It was a little warmer out today, and I could feel my legs were a little tired from spin yesterday. It's funny though because I actually did run better compared to how I felt in the beginning.


I really wanted to start walking after 5 miles, but stuck it out and am really happy I did. Runs like today are the ones that leave me with a "runner's high". They're challenging, sometimes they feel good, other times they hurt, but in the end you finish something you at one time didn't think you could do.

Question

What's your go-to breakfast or dinner??

I feel like I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, but I'm always switching it up for dinner. However, I really want to start building a list of go-to meals that are easy and always delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment