Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Add 1 Pinch of Inspiration

Sometimes running gets boring. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing it. Sometimes I just need a little inspiration.

So far my trick to running four times a week has been by posting a schedule above my desk that I'm constantly looking at throughout the day. It already shows how much I need to run each day and motivates me to do it so that I can check it off. This way I don't fall into the "eh - I don't feel like running today" mood and instead I just do it.

Sometimes the process of "just doing it" gets a little boring when I'm running the same route every time. I got a little adventurous this past week since it's been lighter outside in the evenings and went off the beaten path to discover a nice field with a running sidewalk. I was pretty excited. It happens to be where all the other runners and bikers have been hiding. I was wondering where they were! I'm guessing you can tell that I don't explore the Raleigh running terrain too often. I always opt for Chapel Hill, but this week it wasn't an option (insert sad face).

One of my other main sources of inspiration is to read other runners' blogs. Most of the blogs I read are by marathoners, which makes me feel wimpy when I only run 8 or 10 miles for a long run compared to their 20+, but it keeps me inspired to read about what I could eventually do if I keep this up! One of the blogs posted a video about a man who was inspired to overcome his obesity and lost 120 pounds. He started out running sllloooowwwww and now he's a marathoner and an Iron Man! Check out the below video. It is so inspiring!


If this doesn't make you jump off your couch to run...I don't know what will!

Another awesome part about reading other runners' blogs is that they're always posting yummy but healthy recipes! Tofu always seems to be a staple. So I called up my sometimes vegan, but mainly vegetarian sister and asked her for an easy, cheap tofu recipe. She sent me a Tofu Lettuce Wraps recipe, which I was so excited to make! I've heard tofu can be a little iffy to make, but this recipe was Callie proof.

Ingredients:

1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and diced to bite sized squares
red pepper flakes, to taste
tamari or soy sauce or Bragg's, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped ginger
2 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 head lettuce or Napa cabbage, large leaves removed

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread tofu out on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt , pepper, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Bake for 35-45 minutes.

2. When that is almost done, heat up wok or frying pan and throw in the chopped garlic and ginger. Fry for about 5-7 minutes until they are softer. Throw in the shiitakes.

3. At this time, you can add more soy sauce , usually about 4 or 5 shakes. Also, if you’d like, some more salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.

4. Cook about another 10 -12 minutes, then add the tofu and finish up the cooking, about 2-5 minutes. Spoon the mixture into the lettuce/cabbage leaves and roll them up!!

My tofu of choice:


Tofu after it's been baked. I was a little nervous to find out if I did it right.


Tofu mixed with ginger and garlic...yuummm!!


Bon appetit!! This was delicious!! I was full after the first wrap!


I think I added a little too much ginger...sooooo I needed something sweet :) WARNING: this ice cream is addictive! It's hard too only have a couple scoops!


Julia also noted that this recipe is very healthy. It only has 224 calories per THREE lettuce wraps! Doesn't get much better than that. Stay tuned next week for the Tofu Stirfry recipe! :)

Now I'm off to do my 3 mile run! Gotta get these legs ready for the 11 miler tomorrow!

Quote of the Day:
Challenge in running is not to do things no one has done, but to do things anyone could do, but most never will.

0 comments:

Post a Comment